September 18, 2009

save us from screwing this earth

while browsing the Indonesian Youth Conference website to find my daughter's name as the winner of the "Make Your Voice Heard! Blog Competition" (i'll write about this later), i found this blog article. Titled "... Save us from screwing this earth", it is written by Tiavita Herdiana.

Tiavita, or Vita, is currently studying Visual Communications & Design in a private university in Jakarta. the talented young woman is also one of the founders of Jakarta Street Looks.

anyway, i have to admit, this is one of the smartest articles on saving the planet that i've read so far. it's fresh and honest and so true, written in such spirit of youth! so, now that i've obtained a written permission from one of the IYC's administrators, Alanda Kariza, i'm going to republish it here and share it with all of you.

........ in the hope that some of you will feel ashamed of yourselves, ashamed of your current destructive lifestyles, and finally take this young lady's suggestions seriously ........


-----------------


Save the air, save the water, save the soil, save us from screwing this earth.

Little things I’ve done so far:

1. Thrifty closet
Buy vintage or secondhand clothes (for the sake of trend cycle, whatever). It will also save your money, a lot.

2. Air conditioner dilemma
We know that Jakarta is friggin hot like hell nowadays, so I keep up the not-so-fresh-air blowing on me from opening all the windows and doors in my room. Helps your parents to decrease the electricity bill too, lol.

3. Look after your charger
Always keep it unplugged after I finished.

4. Take the bus
I can’t drive so I take the bus too reach my campus. But I always feel glad when my friends ask me to join their cars. Whatever you say, Metromini is uncool, fag, not so urban, not trendy, whatever. It’s an indie way to reach wherever you want :p By using this transportation, you can feel how the passengers are screwed up by the bad weather.

5. Take five minute shower

6. Do it your damn self
I made some accessories from secondhand stuffs, tie-dyeing, etc. I’m not a handy person though, so now I’m learning and seeking for more stuff to be crafted. It feels good to wear something you make by yourself.

7. Buy handmade
Or if you’re too lazy to make stuff, just buy the handmade one.

8. Back-off you tees
Don’t waste you unwanted tees. Just flip them! Or if you want something special, grab some markers, painting kit or whatever, and then draw all over the area!

9. BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag)
At least, say no to plastic bags aka kantong kresek.

10. Long live bottled water
Because I drink like a camel (I usually drink 3 Litres of water a day), I bring my very own bottle everyday. Hail mineral water… Mineral water over coke.. Mineral water over avocado juice.. Mineral water over ice tea.. Mineral water over beer.

11. Watch An Inconvenient Truth.

12. Read The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change.

13. The list is still going…

Make your own list, people!

1 comment:

Tiavita Herdiana said...

wow, such an honour :) thanks ya ma'am.